Valentine’s Day- love it or leave it?
Personally, I agree with Refinery 29 on this one, I love it, regardless of “relationship status”, but that is not the case for everyone. Many people bash the holiday because of its “supposed Hallmark origins” or that they “don’t need some corporate holiday telling them when to express love.” These are both valid points- yes, the holiday has become commercialized and yes, Valentine’s Day can cause unwanted “pressure” in a relationship. However, there is a bright side to all of the “lovely” madness! Keep reading for a few reasons why I love Valentine’s Day AND a few tips to make your V-day special!
Why I love Valentine’s Day:
- It’s a holiday! Who doesn’t love a reason to celebrate, regardless of what it’s for?
- Look at is as a reminder to tell all of the special people in your life that you love them. Personally, I don’t tell the people I love that I love them enough and this holiday is the perfect reminder.
- What’s not to love about chocolate covered cherries, handmade construction-paper cards and vases filled with flowers?
Making your V-day Special:
- If you are in a relationship, no need to pressure your significant other. If you go into the day with no expectations, you can’t be disappointed!
- Single? It’s a holiday for you too! Share the love with you friends and family, send your mom flowers, be especially kind to everyone, or be your own Valentine! “A holiday is simply an excuse to do nice things for yourself and others!”
Ok, so, I still may have not won you over on the whole Valentine’s Day holiday, but I do hope you take the time this week to express your love to the special people in your life!