If you’re anything like me, you probably vowed to lose 5 lbs this year, eat more fruits and veggies and switch to organic everything. Now that we’re a month in to 2014, a few of us are probably struggling to keep up with those New Year’s Resolutions. It’s so hard to stick to your guns once life gets in the way, right?
One way to combat the social pressures that cause us to forsake our healthy lifestyle goals is to entertain at home! In your own abode, you have control over the food you serve and you won’t have to compromise on taste.
Some tips to throwing a low-cal hoedown:
- Plan Ahead: Just like weekly menu planning, you’re able to make better, more healthful food choices when you have the time to research and plan your menu.
- Start with a veggie-loaded soup: Soups are a great substitute for a heavy appetizer and will help to fill you up before the main course.
- Stick with lean protein: It’s a no brainer that pork, chicken and fish are the go-to low calorie main course options. Don’t forget you can also try vegetarian main dishes that contain protein as well, like beans and tofu.
- Always include a green side: Vegetables naturally contain more fiber, which satiates appetites quickly.
- Dessert: As in, don’t forget to have dessert! It’s hard to beat the wholesome goodness of fresh fruit and dark chocolate!
Here are some menu suggestions for nourishing dinner party menus that won’t expand your waistline (You can find all of the recipes in one place on our new Pinterest Board
Soups: White Bean and Greens Vegan Soup, Tomato & Cauliflower Soup, Vegan Broccoli Potato Soup
Main Dishes: Garlic and Herb Roasted Pork Loin, Oven Roasted Sea Bass, Butternut Squash Baked Risotto
Sides: Sweet Potato Pomegranate salad, Cous Cous, Truffled Cauliflower Puree
Salad: Kale Salad with Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette, Green Salad with Orange Vinaigrette or Daphne Oz’s King of Greens Salad
Dessert (Yes, you can still have dessert!): Chocolate Dipped Banana Bites, Black Bean and Avocado Brownies, Coconut Fudge
- 100 Years by Five for Fighting
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
- A Long December by Counting Crows
- A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton
- Daylight by Maroon 5
- Dreams by Fleetwood Mac
- Drops of Jupiter by Train
- Everywhere by Michelle Branch
- Gone, Gone, Gone by Phillip Phillips
- Hold My Hand by Hootie & the Blowfish
- How to Save a Life by The Fray
- I’m Yours by Jason Mraz
- Love Song by Sara Bareilles