Pomanders are a holiday staple! And since they are essentially just a single piece of fruit covered with cloves, no other holiday craft is as easy to make. These pomanders immediately set the holiday mood with a citrus and spice Christmastime scent. They are also easy to display and add color and interest to your table or desk decor!
- Oranges, grapefruit, lemons, limes, whatever fruit you like!
- Whole cloves
- Optional: rubber band or string to guide placement of cloves
- Make pattern for where to place the cloves on the piece of fruit with a rubber band or piece of string (this is optional).
- Push whole cloves into the fruit in desired pattern
- Preserve the pomander before displaying!
How to Preserve:
Option 1: Hang the pomander in a cool closet or dark place for about a week to dry it out before displaying. Otherwise, mold may grow on the oranges within a few weeks.
Option 2: Coat the finished product in powdered orrisroot (found in herb shops/health food stores) and/or a cinnamon & spice mixture to prolong the life of the pomander. Cover in a bowl with plastic and allow to cure for at least 1 week before displaying.
Dried pomanders can last for up to a year! Display these scent-filled beauties by hanging on your Christmas tree, fill a dish or layer on clear glass plates with added greenery. After the holidays, you can place in a closet or drawer to keep your linens smelling fresh!