Changing out your everyday artwork with art that has a holiday sentiment is one of the easiest ways to give your home a quick seasonal makeover. With these 10 quick tricks, you’ll be freshening up your walls in no time!
- The perfect hanging height? Follow the gallery rule of thumb: hang your artwork at average eye level, with the middle of the piece about 58 to 60 inches from the floor.
- The perfect hanging height above a couch or mantel? Hanging your artwork over a table, chest, or couch? Position the artwork six to eight inches from the top of the surface. And over a mantel? Hang your artwork about four to six inches above it.
- What to avoid… Avoid using stick-on hooks or Velcro® to hang your artwork. While these solutions may work for lightweight items that are less than three pounds, they’re not safe for heavy or large pieces of art. The last thing you want to deal with during the holidays is falling artwork!
- Dealing with two hooks? If your artwork requires two screws or nails (typically one towards each top corner), grab some painter’s tape and try this: place a piece of tape from one hole to the next, making sure to cover up each hole. Using a marker or pen, make a dot over each hole. Pull the tape off the back of the picture and place it where you want to hang your picture on the wall (check that the tape is level). Insert your nails into the wall over the dots of marker. Pull the tape off of the wall and hang your picture without a bit of fumbling!
- Make a statement with multiples. In lieu of a large piece of artwork, select the same sized art or photographs in multiples. This look works best with smaller pieces of art (less than 30 x 30). Hang them uniformly across your wall or grouped together for a BIG art impact!
- Gauging a gallery wall? Making a gallery wall of everyday images and seasonal art? Trace the shape of each piece of artwork onto butcher paper and “hang” each shape with painter’s tape to map out your design! That way, you can easily step back and re-position pictures without having to make more holes in your wall.
- Position a painting with toothpaste! Put a dab of white toothpaste over the hook on the back of your artwork or picture frame. Position your picture on your wall and when you find the perfect spot, gently press the frame against the wall. Insert the nail where the dab of toothpaste is, then wipe away the toothpaste once the nail is in!
- Level up with an iPhone®. Want a quick way to make sure your picture is level? If you have an iPhone®, simply open up the Compass app and swipe left to access the level. Hold your phone along the top of the frame and you’ll quickly find out whether your picture is level!
- Take a shortcut. Don’t want to change up your artwork for Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas? No worries! Drape pre-lit garlands, pennant banners or sparklin’ lights over existing artwork, or hang a holiday wreath over a mirror for instant cheer!
- Express yourself! When in doubt, follow your gut! Do you like it? Leave it! Your home is uniquely yours. We’ve provided some helpful tips for hanging art, but in the end, do what makes you happy!
Do you change up your artwork during the holidays? How do you choose which pieces of art stay and which pieces come down for a few months? Let us know in a comment below and share a pic of your holiday art with us on Instagram by using #MyKirklands!